John Fielder Rafting Photography Workshop | 3 Day | Gunnison River, CO
JOHN FIELDER RAFTING PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
Join Colorado’s premier landscape photographer, John Fielder, on this exciting Gunnison Gorge 14-mile wilderness rafting journey, below Black Canyon National Park in western Colorado. It promises spectacular canyon scenery with unlimited photographic opportunities, both rafting on the river and climbing to the top of mesas.
Day hikes in pleasant temperatures afford opportunities to photograph desert wildflowers and cactus along with views of the river from above. You’ll be out of touch with the rest of the world, focusing on the beauty of nature and the rhythm of river life for three idyllic days.
FORMS WE NEED:
3 Days | 14 Miles | Class II-III Rapids
Activity Level: Moderate
Pricing: $1395 Per Person
THE TRIP PACKAGE
The following are included in your Dvorak Expedition: All boating equipment/life jackets/drinking water.All on-river meals (lunch day 1 through lunch last day).By arrangement prior to the trip rain jacket with pants. Eating utensils, plates, complimentary Dvorak souvenir cup, Waterproof dry bags (3.3 cu.ft) for personal gear. Rain tarps for shelter in the kitchen area.
DVORAK PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING
We furnish rugged inflatable self-bailing rafts 12 to 16 feet in length. We provide all necessary river equipment, PFDs (Type V), waterproof dry bags for personal gear, first-aid and safety supplies. There is a guide on every raft and ratio of 1 to 4 on any instructional clinic. In addition, we have rental equipment that consist of tents, sleeping bags, pads, and ground sheets. We also have wetsuit and boot rentals available per day or trip. You can choose to be either in a paddle raft (participatory) or an oared raft, (passenger). Paddle rafts have 4 to 6 persons and 1 guide.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING
- Transportation to the arranged meeting point or put-in
- Pre and post meals and lodging near the arranged meeting point
- Personal clothing and other sundry items (See list)
- Possible shuttle of personal vehicle to take out locations. (Request details)
PERSONAL TRIP EQUIPMENT LIST
Please limit your gear to 30 pounds in weight. Drybag is 3.3cu-ft. It should be able to be packed into a standard duffel bag. This list should cover everything for a safe, comfortable trip.
- Compact synthetic filled sleeping bag (not down)
- Sleeping pad (backpack size) inflatable/insolite
- Small backpack style tent w/ fly & ground sheet
- Long john style wetsuit/boots for cold months *optional
- Long pants (one light weight to block the sun & one warm wool or pile/fleece type*)
- Nylon shorts or swimsuit under wetsuit
- Long sleeved shirts (one warm*/one light weight)
- Non-cotton shirt or poly propylene top (fleece top)
- Warm jacket*, wind proof or Fleece, water resistant
- Pair of tennis shoes - tie on preferred or wet boots.
- Wool socks will help keep feet warm in tennis shoes
- Sunglasses with loss protector/keeper (with UV protection
- Sun block (over 5,000' altitude - lots of UV exposure)
- Hat for sun protection (tie-on)
- Rain gear by request from DVK or bring your own
- Small towel / biodegradable soap / shampoo / lotion etc.
- Flashlight and extra batteries with new bulb or head torch
- Bandana and a pair of lite gloves for sun protection.
- Personal items kit (hygiene) medicines etc.
- Waterproof camera or a very good waterproof case.
- EXTRA BEVERAGES - PLASTIC containers of liquor, BYO canned beer or soda. An adequate supply of soft drinks is provided. If you prefer diet drinks, please request them in advance. Complimentary wine is provided with evening meals.
- OPTIONAL ITEMS: Field glasses with waterproof protection, Journal notebook, book, pliers (for use in taking things from fire i.e. coffee, hot water, etc.), Day pack for side hikes & Extra Zip Lock Bags. Small travel pillow or use stuff sac with your extra clothing.
* Can be excluded during warmer weather
Note: (See List for options for rentals) These items need to be reserved and payment is due along with your trip balance 45 days prior to departure. Be sure to give your height, weight, and shoe size for wetsuit rentals.
- $15 Three-season-Synthetic Poly Sleeping Bag
- $25 One-nite :(2-3)persons dome tent floor & rain fly. $50 two+ nights
- $10 Thermarest Sleep pad, self-inflating
- $20 ‘Paco’ Sleeping Pads (Deluxe)
- $10 one-day Long John Wetsuit with booties. $20 two+days.
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
Please read our cancellation policy carefully, as it applies in every instance. If YOU must cancel your reservation, you may be eligible for a partial refund. Our cancellation policy is firm. We operate under stringent federal regulations, which restrict the number of guests per trip and the number of trips per season. We incur substantial expenses before each trip departs. In the event of late cancellation, Dvorak Expeditions cannot recover costs, nor can we make refunds. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE.
A minimum advance deposit 25% of trip cost per person is required when making reservations. The total is due 45 days prior to trip. Contract deposit negotiations on groups. When cancellations are made more than 45 days before the trip - all moneys are refunded LESS a $100 per person fee. If cancellation is made less than 45 days before the trip, the deposit of 25% per person is non-refundable. With less than 14 days’ notice, NO monies are refunded (this includes all credit card charges).
BY PLANE: Fly into Montrose, CO Airport (served by United, Continental, and America West) for pick up at lodge or airport. (See details on confirmation letter). Or Fly into Grand Junction, Colorado Walker Field (served by United, Frontier, America West, Delta, and Great Lakes Aviation) and rent a car for the 1½ hour drive to the Gunnison Forks Pleasure Park. Take Hwy. #50 south 50 miles to Delta, then east on Hwy. #92, 14 miles to the Gunnison Forks turn off.
Alternately fly into Denver (served by most major airlines) and rent a car for the 4½ hour drive to the Gunnison Forks rendezvous. Take Interstate #70 west to Glenwood Springs. Turn south on Hwy. #82 and go 12 miles to Carbondale, then southwest 60 miles on Hwy. #33 to Hotchkiss. Continue for 6 miles on Hwy. #92 to the Gunnison Forks Park south turn off.
BY CAR: From the North: Follow directions for air travelers from either Grand Junction or Denver. From the South: Take Hwy. #50 north from Montrose 20 miles to Delta, then Hwy. #92 east 14 miles to the Gunnison Forks turn off. SHUTTLE: A around trip pick up or shuttle is available for from Montrose or Grand Junction, CO - request Dvorak rates when booking.
We recommend pre-& post trip PU available by Dvorak
Best Western Red Arrow Motel
1702 E. Main St. (Highway 50) Montrose, CO 81401 (800) 468-9323 (970) 249-9641
Gunnison Forks Pleasure Park
Camping and Cabins at the finish point and meeting location for your Gunnison Gorge rafting/fishing trip.
406 Highway 143
Hotchkiss, Co 81419
Grand Vista Hotel
752 Horizon Drive
Grand Junction, Co 81506
TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AT TRIP’S END
You will arrive back at your vehicle at the Gunnison Forks Pleasure Park mid to late afternoon of the last day of your trip.
Although you can usually make a connecting flight home from Grand Junction after 7:00 p.m. on the last day of the trip, we recommend you fly out the following morning in case inclement weather or other circumstances delays your arrival in Denver. Remember, "River Time" is unpredictable.
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
There may be an issue with the Instagram access token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.
Error: admin-ajax.php test was not successful. Some features may not be available.
Please visit this page to troubleshoot.