Desolation + Gray Canyons | Family Rafting Trip | Green River, UT
DESOLATION & GRAY CANYON FAMILY RAFTING TRIP
Let DVK organize, set up and manage all the details so you can have fun with your family on this whitewater rafting adventure. Take the free time to enjoy the family and activities with custom tailored activities like fishing, stand up paddling, kayaking and more.
Follow the path of the likes of Butch Cassidy, the mysterious “D. Julien”, Flat-nose Curry and Major John Wesley Powell who called this canyon wilderness “a region of wildest desolation”. Today, Desolation and Gray Canyons remain some of the wildest desert wilderness places on the map, a place of Indian petroglyphs, abandoned homesteads, shadow-filled grottos and the Green River.
The Green River builds strength through more than 60 rapids, two newly formed in 1987. The progression of rapids, from unnamed riffles to the more challenging Three Fords, Steer Ridge, Coal Creek and Rattlesnake, make this a perfect place to learn the art and skills of river running. Most of our whitewater rafting, kayaking and canoeing seminars are held here.
Whether learning to boat yourself or just looking for an adventure in the Old West, a trip through the Green River Wilderness can be the answer for just about anyone, family fun for every age. This is an ideal family rafting trip.
Want to book a custom group trip? Contact us for dates and availability.
*Minimum 12 persons
Class II-III Rapids
Duration: 6 Days
Distance: 84 Miles
Activity Level: Moderate
Minimum Age: 5
This is a KIDS GO FREE trip ($1,299 child fare)
- Children must be 5-12 years old
- Maximum of 2 free per family – 1 child per parent/guardian
- Does not include airfare shuttle from Grand Junction, CO to the river and return ground transportation, Est. $205 per person.
THE TRIP PACKAGE
The following are included in your Dvorak Expedition: All boating equipment/life jackets/drinking water.All on-river meals (lunch day 1 through lunch last day).By arrangement prior to the trip rain jacket with pants. Eating utensils, plates, complimentary Dvorak souvenir cup, Waterproof dry bags (3.3 cu.ft) for personal gear. Rain tarps for shelter in the kitchen area.
DVK WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
We furnish rugged inflatable self-bailing rafts 12 to 16 feet in length. We provide all necessary river equipment, PFDs (Type V), waterproof dry bags for personal gear, first-aid and safety supplies. There is a guide on every raft and ratio of 1 to 4 on any instructional clinic. In addition, we have rental equipment that consist of tents, sleeping bags, pads, and ground sheets. We also have wetsuit and boot rentals available per day or trip. You can choose to be either in a paddle raft (participatory) or an oared raft, (passenger). Paddle rafts have 4 to 6 persons and 1 guide.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING
- Transportation to the arranged meeting point or put-in
- Pre and post meals and lodging near the arranged meeting point
- Personal clothing and other sundry items (See list)
- Possible shuttle of personal vehicle to take out locations. (Request details)
RIVER TRIP EQUIPMENT LIST
Please limit your gear to 30 pounds in weight. Drybag is 3.3cu-ft. It should be able to be packed into a standard duffel bag. This list should cover everything for a safe, comfortable trip.
- Compact synthetic filled sleeping bag (not down)
- Sleeping pad (backpack size) inflatable/insolite
- Small backpack style tent w/ fly & ground sheet
- Long john style wetsuit/boots for cold months *optional
- Long pants (one light weight to block the sun & one warm wool or pile/fleece type*)
- Nylon shorts or swimsuit under wetsuit
- Long sleeved shirts (one warm*/one light weight)
- Non-cotton shirt or poly propylene top (fleece top)
- Warm jacket*, wind proof or Fleece, water resistant
- Pair of tennis shoes - tie on preferred or wet boots.
- Wool socks will help keep feet warm in tennis shoes
- Sunglasses with loss protector/keeper (with UV protection
- Sun block (over 5,000' altitude - lots of UV exposure)
- Hat for sun protection (tie-on)
- Rain gear by request from DVK or bring your own
- Small towel / biodegradable soap / shampoo / lotion etc.
- Flashlight and extra batteries with new bulb or head torch
- Bandana and a pair of lite gloves for sun protection.
- Personal items kit (hygiene) medicines etc.
- Waterproof camera or a very good waterproof case.
- EXTRA BEVERAGES - PLASTIC containers of liquor, BYO canned beer or soda. An adequate supply of soft drinks is provided. If you prefer diet drinks, please request them in advance. Complimentary wine is provided with evening meals.
- OPTIONAL ITEMS: Field glasses with waterproof protection, Journal notebook, book, pliers (for use in taking things from fire i.e. coffee, hot water, etc.), Day pack for side hikes & Extra Zip Lock Bags. Small travel pillow or use stuff sac with your extra clothing.
* Can be excluded during warmer weather
Note: (See List for options for rentals) These items need to be reserved and payment is due along with your trip balance 45 days prior to departure. Be sure to give your height, weight, and shoe size for wetsuit rentals.
- $15 Three-season-Synthetic Poly Sleeping Bag
- $25 One-nite :(2-3)persons dome tent floor & rain fly. $50 two+ nights
- $10 Thermarest Sleep pad, self-inflating
- $20 ‘Paco’ Sleeping Pads (Deluxe)
- $10 one-day Long John Wetsuit with booties. $20 two+days.
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
Please read our cancellation policy carefully, as it applies in every instance. If YOU must cancel your reservation, you may be eligible for a partial refund. Our cancellation policy is firm. We operate under stringent federal regulations, which restrict the number of guests per trip and the number of trips per season. We incur substantial expenses before each trip departs. In the event of late cancellation, Dvorak Expeditions cannot recover costs, nor can we make refunds. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE.
A minimum advance deposit 25% of trip cost per person is required when making reservations. The total is due 45 days prior to trip. Contract deposit negotiations on groups. When cancellations are made more than 45 days before the trip - all moneys are refunded LESS a $100 per person fee. If cancellation is made less than 45 days before the trip, the deposit of 25% per person is non-refundable. With less than 14 days’ notice, NO monies are refunded (this includes all credit card charges).
WE‘VE GOT SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.
NEED HELP PLANNING YOUR TRIP?
LEAVE A REVIEW