Royal Gorge Rafting | Full Day | Arkansas River, CO
Dvorak Expeditions will guide you down a classic section of class IV-V whitewater rapids.
The Royal Gorge of the Arkansas River is one of the most popular, and scenic stretches of whitewater in the country. Royal Gorge in Colorado was once the place where boaters let the river flow on alone. Now, because of state of the art equipment and better technical understanding, this section has become a thrilling and challenging whitewater rafting trip.
Careful screening will decide who paddles this wild side of the Arkansas River. Experience is a must.
Location for meeting is at Dvorak`s main base, 17921 US Highway 285, Nathrop, CO 81236. Travel time is 1.5 hours from Colorado Springs.
1 Day | 21 Miles | Class IV-V Rapids
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Difficult
MINIMUM AGE 18
PRICING: $135 Per Person
DVK WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT:
We furnish rugged inflatable self-bailing rafts 12 to 16 feet in length. We provide all necessary river equipment, PFD's (Type V), waterproof dry bags, (3.3 cu.ft), for personal gear, first-aid and safety supplies. There is a guide on every raft and ratio of 1 to 4 on any instructional clinic. In addition, we have rental camping equipment for all your needs. We also have wetsuit and boot rentals available per day or trip. You can choose to be either in a paddle raft (participatory) or an oared raft, (non paddling). Paddle rafts have 4 to 7 persons and 1 guide.
On overnight trips, all on-river meals are provided, beginning with lunch the first day and ending with lunch the last day. The food is fresh and hearty and the guides will prepare it for you. A typical DINNER menu may include as a main course BBQ Steak, Baked Fish, Teriyaki Chicken, or combination entrees, fresh vegetables and salads, Dutch-oven desserts or breads, hors d'oeuvres, fresh fruits, fruit juices, coffee, tea and a complimentary glass of wine with dinner. All LUNCHES: are buffet style with a wide variety of salads, sandwiches, fruit, cheeses, sliced meats, nuts and juices or sodas. (NO ALCOHOL on day trips)
includes fresh fruit juice, eggs in all styles, special pancakes, French toast, melons, fruit, cereals with milk, sausage, bacon, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. We can accommodate special diets with advance notice and almost always the menu suits the vegetarian.
Though we carry ample supplies of juices, coffee, tea and hot chocolate we encourage you to BYO extra soda or beer. You can arrange for us to pick up specific beverages for you prior to the trip or BYO before you meet us at the DVK base. Any liquids you bring must be in cans or unbreakable containers.
We must request that you do not drink alcohol on one day trips on the river. You're welcome to bring alcohol in cans and unbreakable containers on overnight trips for camp. Glass of wine is complimentary with dinners. Our guides can refuse to let you participate in a trip if your safety is at risk due to alcohol or drugs.
RIVER TRIP EQUIPMENT LIST - ONE DAY TRIPS
- Long john style wetsuit/boots for cold months or Class IV+
- Nylon shorts or swim suit under wetsuit
- Non-cotton shirt or poly propylene top (fleece top)
- Warm jacket, wind proof or Fleece, water resistant
- Pair of tennis shoes - tie on preferred (No sandals) or wet boots.
- Wool socks will help keep feet warm in tennis shoes
- Sun glasses with loss protector/keeper, with UV protection
- Sun block (over 8000' altitude - lots of UV exposure)
- Hat for sun protection (tie-on)
- Splash jackets/pants are provided (you can bring your own)
RIVER TRIP EQUIPMENT LIST - OVERNIGHT TRIPS
- Extra long sleeve shirt apart from River Wear clothing
- Pair of long pants for night camping
- Small towel / bio soap/shampoo/lotion etc.
- Flashlight and extra batteries with new bulb. Head torch.
- Bandana and a pair of lite gloves for sun protection.
- Personal items kit (hygiene) medicines etc.
- Waterproof camera or a very good waterproof case. (Disposable)
- Extra sodas and or canned beverages for camp. NO Liquor during the day on the river
- Compact synthetic sleeping bag with sleeping pad ground sheet
- Small backpack style tent w/ fly
- EXTRA BEVERAGES - PLASTIC containers of liquor, CANNED beer wine coolers. An adequate supply of soft drinks is provided. If you prefer diet drinks, please request in advance. Complimentary glass of wine is provided with evening meals.
- OPTIONAL ITEMS: Field glasses, protection, Journal notebook, book, pliers (for use in taking things from fire i.e. coffee, hot water, etc.), Day pack & Extra Zip Lock Bags.
- $15 Three-season-Synthetic Poly Sleeping Bag
- $25 One-nite :(2-3)persons dome tent floor & rain fly. $50 two+ nights
- $10 Thermarest Sleep pad, self-inflating
- $20 ‘Paco’ Sleeping Pads (Deluxe)
- $10 one-day Long John Wetsuit with booties. $20 two+days.
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
Please read our cancellation policy carefully, as it applies in every instance. If YOU must cancel your reservation, you may be eligible for a partial refund. Our cancellation policy is firm. We operate under stringent federal regulations, which restrict the number of guests per trip and the number of trips per season. We incur substantial expenses before each trip departs. In the event of late cancellation, Dvorak Expeditions cannot recover costs, nor can we make refunds.
A minimum advance deposit 25% of trip cost per person is required when making reservations. The total is due 45 days prior to trip. Contract deposit negotiations on groups. When cancellations are made more than 45 days before the trip - all moneys are refunded LESS a $100 per person fee. If cancellation is made less than 45 days before the trip, the deposit of 25% per person is non-refundable. With less than 14 days’ notice, NO monies are refunded (this includes all credit card charges).
Major airports are Denver International or Colorado Springs; rental car or van from there to the Arkansas Valley. Car rentals are available in Denver or Colorado Springs. There are "limited" jeep and domestic rental vehicles available in the Arkansas valley by prior arrangement. Salida and Buena Vista, Colorado have small aircraft facilities and charter flights only are available with adequate numbers for charter. Arrive in Salida or Buena Vista, Colorado the day prior to the tripBY CAR
To reach our Browns Canyon/Nathrop Base, 17921 US Hwy 285, Nathrop, CO 81236.
FROM DENVER: You will follow Hwy 285 out of Denver all the way to the Base located 5 miles south of Nathrop. It is approximately 160 miles from Denver Airport to the Nathrop Base (4 hours). Mtn road driving is slower but, a beautiful part of the Rocky Mountains and you should allow extra driving time to sight-see. FROM COLO.SPRINGS: use Hwy 24 west connecting with US Hwy 285 north & south towards Buena Vista. Turn south on Hwy 285-11 miles, you will see on the west side our sign just north of the Gas station and Prospector Rock Shop on Hwy 285. Royal Gorge and BigHorn Sheep Canyon has an optional meeting location for groups: FROM COLO. SPRINGS: take Hwy 115 and Hwy 50 west through Canon City. Meeting @ Parkdale Launch site is about 10 miles west of Canon City on Hwy 50.
FROM JOHNSON'S VILLAGE: take Hwy 285 through Nathrop which joins with Hwy 50 east, via Hwy 291 through Salida. Travel @ 60 miles to the Parkdale launch site (Arkansas Headwaters Rec. Area).
Arrive at the appropriate arranged meeting location @ confirmed time (depending on trip) on the first day. You will meet your guides at either DVK Nathrop base or Parkdale launch site. The travel time to the river by bus/van varies with each canyon and start point. Confirm prior to start date. There is a secure private parking area at the Nathrop base for you to leave your vehicle and belongings. AHRA ‘Parkdale’ launch site will require a state park parking pass in your vehicle $7-10.TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AT TRIPS END
At the end of your day or the final day of your trip, Dvorak's van or bus will either deliver you to the place where you left your car or return you to your lodging or arranged drop off point. "River Time is unpredictable." Please keep this in mind when you make final day commitments.ACCOMMODATIONS
Check our helpful links page for recommended lodgings pre- and post-trip.