Group Instructional Kayak or Raft Clinic | Full Day | Arkansas River, CO
KAYAK & RAFT INSTRUCTIONAL TRIP ON THE ARKANSAS RIVER
- You start your whitewater full day with Dvoraks by checking in at the office (see map and location notes) at 8:30 a.m.
- Your guides will show the way with fitting you into your boat and gear if you are renting our course equipment. If you are using your own personal gear we will do a safety inspection before going to the river or lake. We will have a group dry bag for raft instruction to stow personal day items. You can also place your personal items such as (sunscreen, fleece jacket, small towel into this same bag. You might want to place them in a large zip lock bag to keep them easy to view and find all together from the dry bag later in the day. If you have a camera (waterproof), lip sunscreen, or items you want to get too often a fanny pack works great to wear.
- Once you have gathered up your items for the day you will take your personal items and make your way to the bus or van for transportation by Dvoraks will be provided to the river “Put In” launch.
- NOTE: You want to make sure that you have left your keys at the front desk with the attendant and locked your valuables into your car. Your things are safe on our private property. On return from the trip, you’ll have your keys ready for you to change into dry items, shower, etc. The shop will have photos, t-shirts, and many fun items for your whitewater souvenirs.
- Once you arrive at the river your guide/instructor will direct you to the area where they will give you the safety talk and demonstrate the techniques for your day’s course; Launch onto the river should be about 9:30 a.m. Now you’re on your way and a full day of instruction.
- Now there is still half a day left and you will stop for a deli lunch prepared by your Dvorak staff… Cold drinks, fresh fruits, and deli sandwiches you create yourself. Chips and cookies for the sweet tooth and always-fresh water for you throughout the day. Optional BYO lunch.
- You will finish the day around 4:00 pm and transport will be waiting to return to the main base.
You can revisit your day’s events with your guide/instructor and view photos taken, on some sections of the river, of you or your group that day. Don’t forget the “Dry” t-shirt and take one home to those that missed this fantastic day on the Arkansas River! “I can’t believe we actually saw a whole bunch of Big Horn Sheep right there next to us.”
A half-day option may be available. Please contact us if you are interested in this option.
COME AGAIN AND OFTEN WE ARE HERE ALL SUMMER FOR YOU!
Full-Day | Class II-III Rapids
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Moderate
PRICING: $149 Per Person
You will arrive at Dvorak’s Main Base to check-in and we will either inspect your own equipment for use during the course or we’ll have your boat(s) set up for you. DVK will transport you to the river and return at the end of the day. Please confirm if you will take our lunch(s) or bring your own. Due to COVID, we have this option. When you get to the river we will fit you out with your personal flotation device (PFD) and gather everyone to the circle for introductions and a river safety talk.
Gratuities are not included in your trip cost. While tipping is done at your discretion, tipping is one of the gauges we use in terms of customer satisfaction. If you are ever not satisfied, please let us know so that we can adjust our expeditions in the future.
- $45 per-day Drysuits (gasket damage additional)
- $75 One-day Inflatable Kayak ‘Duckie’ 1 or 2 man w/ paddle, pfd, helmet ($50 boat only)
- $85 One-day Hard-shell Kayak: Floatation, paddle, pfd, helmet, spray skirt (Boat only $50)
- $6 ea. One-day for any accessory item: PFD, Helmet, Spray Jacket, Paddle
Major airports are Denver International or Colorado Springs; rental car or van from there to the Arkansas Valley. Car rentals are available in Denver or Colorado Springs. There are "limited" jeep and domestic rental vehicles available in the Arkansas valley by prior arrangement. Salida and Buena Vista, Colorado have small aircraft facilities and charter flights only are available with adequate numbers for charter. Arrive in Salida or Buena Vista, Colorado the day prior to the tripBY CAR
To reach our Browns Canyon/Nathrop Base, 17921 US Hwy 285, Nathrop, CO 81236.
FROM DENVER: You will follow Hwy 285 out of Denver all the way to the Base located 5 miles south of Nathrop. It is approximately 160 miles from Denver Airport to the Nathrop Base (4 hours). Mtn road driving is slower but, a beautiful part of the Rocky Mountains and you should allow extra driving time to sight-see. FROM COLO.SPRINGS: use Hwy 24 west connecting with US Hwy 285 north & south towards Buena Vista. Turn south on Hwy 285-11 miles, you will see on the west side our sign just north of the Gas station and Prospector Rock Shop on Hwy 285. Royal Gorge and BigHorn Sheep Canyon has an optional meeting location for groups: FROM COLO. SPRINGS: take Hwy 115 and Hwy 50 west through Canon City. Meeting @ Parkdale Launch site is about 10 miles west of Canon City on Hwy 50.
FROM JOHNSON'S VILLAGE: take Hwy 285 through Nathrop which joins with Hwy 50 east, via Hwy 291 through Salida. Travel @ 60 miles to the Parkdale launch site (Arkansas Headwaters Rec. Area).
Arrive at the appropriate arranged meeting location @ confirmed time (depending on trip) on the first day. You will meet your guides at either DVK Nathrop base or Parkdale launch site. The travel time to the river by bus/van varies with each canyon and start point. Confirm prior to start date. There is a secure private parking area at the Nathrop base for you to leave your vehicle and belongings. AHRA ‘Parkdale’ launch site will require a state park parking pass in your vehicle $7-10.TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AT TRIPS END
At the end of your day or the final day of your trip, Dvorak's van or bus will either deliver you to the place where you left your car or return you to your lodging or arranged drop off point. "River Time is unpredictable." Please keep this in mind when you make final day commitments.ACCOMMODATIONS
Check our helpful links page for recommended lodgings pre- and post-trip.