Desolation + Gray Canyons | 5 or 6-Day Rafting | Green River, UT
GREEN RIVER – UT –
Desolation & Gray Canyons
89 Miles – 60+ Rapids
5 or 6-DAY RAFTING TRIP
Minimum persons 12+|Call us for more details 719 539-6851 Ext.1
Rafting down the Green River in Utah will take you down deepest canyon through Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservations, cottonwoods and box elder, willow and sagebrush scouting for mule deer, mountain lion and bobcats. Follow the path of Butch Cassidy’s “Wild Bunch”, the mysterious “D. Julien,” “Flat Nose” Curry and Major John Wesley Powell, who titled the barren landscapes of Desolation and Gray Canyons “a region of wildest desolation”.
Containing thousand-year old petroglyphs from the Fremont Indians, abandoned homesteads and shadow-filled grottos, the setting of the Green River is host to one of the most popular runs for beginner kayakers and SUP’s as well as for rafters. With more than 60 rapids, from unnamed riffles to more challenging Class III whitewater, Green River rafting in Utah is the perfect place to test your paddling skills. Dvorak Expeditions can help you enjoy an excellent experience in fly fishing and rafting in Utah. Whether learning to boat yourself or relaxing on a raft guided by Dvorak’s crew you will remember this canyon trip.
Rapids: Class II-III
Distance: 84 Miles
Duration: 5 or 6 Days
Activity Level: Moderate
Minimum Age: 12
THE TRIP PACKAGE
The following are included in your Dvorak Expedition: All boating equipment/life jackets/drinking water.All on-river meals (lunch day 1 through lunch last day).By arrangement prior to the trip rain jacket with pants. Eating utensils, plates, complimentary Dvorak souvenir cup, Waterproof dry bags (3.3 cu.ft) for personal gear. Rain tarps for shelter in the kitchen area.
DVK WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
We furnish rugged inflatable self-bailing rafts 12 to 16 feet in length. We provide all necessary river equipment, PFDs (Type V), waterproof dry bags for personal gear, first-aid and safety supplies. There is a guide on every raft and ratio of 1 to 4 on any instructional clinic. In addition, we have rental equipment that consist of tents, sleeping bags, pads, and ground sheets. We also have wetsuit and boot rentals available per day or trip. You can choose to be either in a paddle raft (participatory) or an oared raft, (passenger). Paddle rafts have 4 to 6 persons and 1 guide.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING
- Transportation to the arranged meeting point or put-in
- Pre and post meals and lodging near the arranged meeting point
- Personal clothing and other sundry items (See list)
- Possible shuttle of personal vehicle to take out locations. (Request details)
RIVER TRIP EQUIPMENT LIST
Please limit your gear to 30 pounds in weight. Drybag is 3.3cu-ft. It should be able to be packed into a standard duffel bag. This list should cover everything for a safe, comfortable trip.
- Compact synthetic filled sleeping bag (not down)
- Sleeping pad (backpack size) inflatable/insolite
- Small backpack style tent w/ fly & ground sheet
- Long john style wetsuit/boots for cold months *optional
- Long pants (one light weight to block the sun & one warm wool or pile/fleece type*)
- Nylon shorts or swimsuit under wetsuit
- Long sleeved shirts (one warm*/one light weight)
- Non-cotton shirt or poly propylene top (fleece top)
- Warm jacket*, wind proof or Fleece, water resistant
- Pair of tennis shoes - tie on preferred or wet boots.
- Wool socks will help keep feet warm in tennis shoes
- Sunglasses with loss protector/keeper (with UV protection
- Sun block (over 5,000' altitude - lots of UV exposure)
- Hat for sun protection (tie-on)
- Rain gear by request from DVK or bring your own
- Small towel / biodegradable soap / shampoo / lotion etc.
- Flashlight and extra batteries with new bulb or head torch
- Bandana and a pair of lite gloves for sun protection.
- Personal items kit (hygiene) medicines etc.
- Waterproof camera or a very good waterproof case.
- EXTRA BEVERAGES - PLASTIC containers of liquor, BYO canned beer or soda. An adequate supply of soft drinks is provided. If you prefer diet drinks, please request them in advance. Complimentary wine is provided with evening meals.
- OPTIONAL ITEMS: Field glasses with waterproof protection, Journal notebook, book, pliers (for use in taking things from fire i.e. coffee, hot water, etc.), Day pack for side hikes & Extra Zip Lock Bags. Small travel pillow or use stuff sac with your extra clothing.
* Can be excluded during warmer weather
Note: (See List for options for rentals) These items need to be reserved and payment is due along with your trip balance 45 days prior to departure. Be sure to give your height, weight, and shoe size for wetsuit rentals.
- $15 Three-season-Synthetic Poly Sleeping Bag
- $25 One-nite :(2-3)persons dome tent floor & rain fly. $50 two+ nights
- $10 Thermarest Sleep pad, self-inflating
- $20 ‘Paco’ Sleeping Pads (Deluxe)
- $10 one-day Long John Wetsuit with booties. $20 two+days.
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
Please read our cancellation policy carefully, as it applies in every instance. If YOU must cancel your reservation, you may be eligible for a partial refund. Our cancellation policy is firm. We operate under stringent federal regulations, which restrict the number of guests per trip and the number of trips per season. We incur substantial expenses before each trip departs. In the event of late cancellation, Dvorak Expeditions cannot recover costs, nor can we make refunds. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE.
A minimum advance deposit 25% of trip cost per person is required when making reservations. The total is due 45 days prior to trip. Contract deposit negotiations on groups. When cancellations are made more than 45 days before the trip - all moneys are refunded LESS a $100 per person fee. If cancellation is made less than 45 days before the trip, the deposit of 25% per person is non-refundable. With less than 14 days’ notice, NO monies are refunded (this includes all credit card charges).
There are several airlines with flights into Walker Field, Grand Junction, CO from a variety of connecting cities, such as:
America West (800) 235-9292
United Airlines (800) 241-6522
Arrive in Grand Junction, Colorado the day prior to your trip. There will be a pre-trip orientation meeting at 7:00 p.m. at the Grande Vista Hotel that evening to go over trip logistics and answer questions. DVK will make all arrangements for shuttle flights! The following morning the Grande Vista will provide transportation to the Grand Junction Airport West Star Aviation Bldg. by 7:00 a.m. You will check in at the charter air terminal just east of the main commercial terminal and inform them that you are there to catch a Red Tail Aviation charter flight at 8:00* a.m. (Some flight times vary - see confirmation letter). The flight to the put-in takes approximately 45 minutes. It will fly over the Green River on the way.
Arrive in Green River, Utah by car or plane the day prior to your trip. The morning your trip begins, drive out to Red Tail Aviation at the Green River Municipal Airport for your 7:00* a.m. flight to the river. There is no pre-trip meeting in Green River. Parking at the airport is secure.
The landing strip is on the mesa above the river. Wait there for our vehicle to pick you up to take you down to the launch area at the river. Any extra belongings, valuables or equipment not needed on the river trip should be stored at your hotel/motel.
BY CAR: You will need to arrive in Grand Junction for the pre-trip orientation meeting the night before your trip or arrive at the West Star Aviation Airport in Grand Junction at 7:00* a.m. the morning your trip begins.
Alternatively, you can arrive at the Green River Municipal Airport, four miles south of Green River, Utah, at 6:45 a.m. on the morning of the first day of your trip. Report to Red Tail Aviation at the terminal office for your flight at 7:00* a.m. to the Green River. Any extra belongings, valuables or equipment not needed on the river trip should be stored in your vehicle or at the Lodging.
Grand Junction can be reached from east or west on Interstate 70. It is approximately 6 hours drive east from Denver. You can also reach Green River, Utah on Interstate 70 from east or west.
In Grand Junction, we recommend for pre- and post-trip:
Our pre-trip meeting location:
Grande Vista Hotel
2790 Crossroads Blvd
Grand Junction, CO 81506
Adams Marks Hotel
743 Horizon Drive
Grand Junction, CO 81506
The Holiday Inn
755 Horizon Drive
Grand Junction, CO 81501
733 Horizon Drive
Grand Junction, CO 81506
Transportation to and from the airport is available by courtesy vehicle from the hotel/motel. Use the courtesy phone in the baggage area. Dvorak’s will make arrangements for hotel transport back to the airport the following morning for your shuttle flight.
For the Green River, UT we recommend the following:
River Terrace/Best Western (On the Banks of the Green River)
880 East Main Street
Green River, UT 84525
946 East Main Street
Green River, UT 84525
TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AT TRIPS END
After derigging and loading equipment late afternoon on the last day of your trip, Dvorak Expeditions will either take you back to your motel/hotel in Green River or Grand Junction, CO (included in the transportation cost).
After packing up, it takes approximately ½ hour to drive back to Green River and about 1-3/4 hours back to Grand Junction from Swayze’s take-out. Although you can usually make a connecting flight home on the evening of the last day of the trip, we recommend you fly out the following morning in case inclement weather or other circumstances delay our departure from the river.
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
WE‘VE GOT SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.
NEED HELP PLANNING YOUR TRIP?
LEAVE A REVIEW