Rio Grande River Rafting – Colorado & Santa Elana Canyons – 4 Days
THE RIO GRANDE RIVER Texas/Mexico Border
Colorado & Santa Elana Canyons 4 Days
Big Bend National Park
Warm sun, spectacular canyons and moderate rapids make these trips perfect for a family Thanksgiving Holiday. The Colorado Canyons cut through igneous rock, offering fun rapids of Class II and III. In the Santa Elena Canyon you will raft beneath magnificent sheer limestone walls towering up to 1,500 feet above. Rockslide Rapid is sure to excite the whitewater enthusiast.
This is an excellent trip for learning to hard shell kayak, inflatable kayaks or SUP’s with full raft support.
- Runs March, April & November
- Minimum 12+ persons
Call us for more details.
Rio Grande River – Big Bend National Park TX-Mex
Length: 4 Days | 47 Miles |
Class: II-III Rapids
Activity Level: Moderate
Pricing: $699 Per Person
Minimum Groups: 12 persons
Contact us for special arranged dates for groups only:
The following are included in your Dvorak Expedition: All boating equipment/life jackets/drinking water.All on-river meals (lunch day 1 through lunch last day). By arrangement prior to the trip rain jacket with pants. Eating utensils, plates, complimentary Dvorak souvenir cup, Waterproof dry bags (3.3 cu.ft) for personal gear. Rain tarps for shelter in the kitchen area.
DVORAK'S WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING
We furnish rugged inflatable self-bailing rafts 12 to 16 feet in length. We provide all necessary river equipment, PFDs (Type V), waterproof dry bags for personal gear, first-aid and safety supplies. There is a guide on every raft and ratio of 1 to 4 on any instructional clinic. In addition, we have rental equipment that consist of tents, sleeping bags, pads, and ground sheets. We also have wetsuit and boot rentals available per day or trip. You can choose to be either in a paddle raft (participatory) or an oared raft, (passenger). Paddle rafts have 4 to 6 persons and 1 guide.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING
- Transportation to the arranged meeting point or put-in
- Pre and post meals and lodging near the arranged meeting point
- Personal clothing and other sundry items (see list)
- Possible shuttle of personal vehicle to take out locations. (Request details)
RIVER TRIP EQUIPMENT LIST
Please limit your gear to 30 pounds in weight. Drybag is 3.3cu-ft. It should be able to be packed into a standard duffel bag. This list should cover everything for a safe, comfortable trip.
- Compact synthetic filled sleeping bag (not down)
- Sleeping pad (backpack size) inflatable/insolite
- Small backpack style tent w/ fly & ground sheet
- Long john style wetsuit/boots for cold months *optional
- Long pants (one light weight to block the sun & one warm wool or pile/fleece type*)
- Nylon shorts or swimsuit under wetsuit
- Long sleeved shirts (one warm*/one light weight)
- Non-cotton shirt or poly propylene top (fleece top)
- Warm jacket*, wind proof or Fleece, water resistant
- Pair of tennis shoes - tie on preferred or wet boots.
- Wool socks will help keep feet warm in tennis shoes
- Sunglasses with loss protector/keeper (with UV protection
- Sun block (over 5,000' altitude - lots of UV exposure)
- Hat for sun protection (tie-on)
- Rain gear by request from DVK or bring your own
- Small towel / biodegradable soap / shampoo / lotion etc.
- Flashlight and extra batteries with new bulb or head torch
- Bandana and a pair of lite gloves for sun protection.
- Personal items kit (hygiene) medicines etc.
- Waterproof camera or a very good waterproof case.
- EXTRA BEVERAGES - PLASTIC containers of liquor, BYO canned beer or soda. An adequate supply of soft drinks is provided. If you prefer diet drinks, please request them in advance. Complimentary wine is provided with evening meals.
- OPTIONAL ITEMS: Field glasses with waterproof protection, Journal notebook, book, pliers (for use in taking things from fire i.e. coffee, hot water, etc.), Day pack for side hikes & Extra Zip Lock Bags. Small travel pillow or use stuff sac with your extra clothing.
* Can be excluded during warmer weather
Note: (See List for options for rentals) These items need to be reserved and payment is due along with your trip balance 45 days prior to departure. Be sure to give your height, weight, and shoe size for wetsuit rentals.
- $15 Three-season-Synthetic Poly Sleeping Bag
- $25 One-nite :(2-3)persons dome tent floor & rain fly. $50 two+ nights
- $10 Thermarest Sleep pad, self-inflating
- $20 ‘Paco’ Sleeping Pads (Deluxe)
- $10 one-day Long John Wetsuit with booties. $20 two+days.
Due to its inaccessibility, the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande have arguably some of the best and biggest catfish fishing in Texas. You are welcome to fish during our rafting trip. This is a unique style of fishing on the Rio and takes a dedicated cat fisherman to catch these 3 - 60+ pounders. You must have a valid Texas fishing license for the Rio Grande.
March and April on the Mexico-Texas border is considered by many to be the best time of the year for this country. Daytime temperatures are usually quite warm, 70 - 90o and night-time temperatures are usually in the mid to high 40 - 50o range. It is, however, as susceptible to seasonal cold snaps as anywhere else. The one trip we've had in the last ten years that had a skiff of ice on the water buckets one morning is reason enough to remind us it is a wilderness and to ask you to bring enough warm clothes to be comfortable should it happen again. November is warm fall days with cool evenings. Water levels are seasonally beginner / intermediate levels.
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
Please read our cancellation policy carefully, as it applies in every instance. If YOU must cancel your reservation, you may be eligible for a partial refund. Our cancellation policy is firm. We operate under stringent federal regulations, which restrict the number of guests per trip and the number of trips per season. We incur substantial expenses before each trip departs. In the event of late cancellation, Dvorak Expeditions cannot recover costs, nor can we make refunds. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE.
A minimum advance deposit 25% of trip cost per person is required when making reservations. The total is due 45 days prior to trip. Contract deposit negotiations on groups. When cancellations are made more than 45 days before the trip - all moneys are refunded LESS a $100 per person fee. If cancellation is made less than 45 days before the trip, the deposit of 25% per person is non-refundable. With less than 14 days’ notice, NO monies are refunded (this includes all credit card charges).
BY PLANE: Arrive in Midland, Texas the day prior to your trip or on the morning your trip begins, provided you can arrive prior to 8:00 a.m. (Central Time Zone) Dvorak Expeditions will pick you up at the Airport Plaza Inn, or meet your plane very early the morning of the first day of your trip (between 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Check your confirmation letter for more precise time.) We will need to know where you are staying for contact purposes. There are numerous airlines with flights into Midland from a variety of connecting cities. United, Continental, American and Delta service the Midland Airport daily.
BY CAR: Arrive in Ft. Stockton, Texas at the Econo Lodge which is located at 800 East Dickinson, on the eastern edge of town, at approximately 12:00 noon on the day your trip begins. Dvorak's will rendezvous with you there and then transport you by van to the put-in point at LaLinda, Mexico for Lower Canyons & Big Bend National Park for Colorado Canyon 4 day trips: an additional 2.5 - 3 hours travel time. Your vehicle can be left in the Econo Lodge parking lot and you will be returned there approximately mid-day on the last day of your trip. There is both a lounge and restaurant at the motel.
Directions: Ft. Stockton, Texas can be reached from the north via U.S. Highway 985 from Pecos or Texas Highway 18 from Monahans. From the west and east via Interstate 10 and from the south via Highway 385 from Marathon, Texas. Any extra clothing, suitcases, etc. can either be stored in the Dvorak vehicle/trailer and will be available at trip's end or at your motel in Midland/Odessa or Ft.Stockton.
We recommend the following for pre-& post-trip:
Airport Plaza Inn (AAA) I-20 Exit Midland Airport
3312 South County Road 1276
Midland, TX 79706
Econo Lodge (I-10 Exit 261)
800 East Dickinson
Ft. Stockton, TX 79735
TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AT TRIP’S END
After derigging and loading equipment on the last day of your trip, Dvorak Expeditions will either
- Take you back to your motel/hotel in Midland, Texas
- Shuttle you to the Midland Airport
- Deliver you to the place where you left your car
- Arrange to have your car shuttled to the take-out (Cost per vehicle to be arranged depending on trip length and distance to shuttle.)
POST TRIP: Although you can usually make a connecting flight home on the evening of the last day of the trip, we recommend you fly out the following morning in case inclement weather or other circumstances delays our arrival in Midland.